With advancing age, the hair loses its ability to retain its natural color and one starts to see silver or gray in its place. Premature graying of hair is a cause of concern as it indicates underlying health issues, poor nutrition, hormonal imbalance or stress. One can always use hair dyes or colors to camouflage grays. But the occurrence of gray hair in children is a cause of concern. In this guide, we will study ways how to cure premature graying of hair naturally. Some of these natural home remedies can also reverse the graying of hair in children.
Table of Contents
- 1. Treat vitamin B deficiency
- 2. Drink yogurt and buttermilk with yeast
- 3. Eat black raisins
- 4. Get calcium, iron, zinc, copper and iodine through diet or supplements
- 5. Drink milk with wheat germ
- 6. Eat plenty of carrots and bananas
- 7. Use Amla or Indian gooseberry- a powerful remedy to stop graying of hair naturally
- 8. Coconut oil head massage
- 9. Use curry leaves
- 10. Rinse hair with black tea
- 11. DIY Yogurt pack for gray hair
- 12. Henna pack to get rid of premature gray hair
- 13. Massage hair with ghee
- 14. Rub your nails together- a surprising remedy to reverse gray hair naturally
- 15. Chinese herbs for graying hair
- 16. Homeopathic remedies to stop and reverse gray hair
- 17. Avoid harsh chemicals and hair treatments
- 18. Avoid styling wet hair
- 19. Avoid hot water for washing hair
- 20. Groom and comb hair daily
- 21. Drink lots of water
- 22. Combat stress through good sleep and exercise
- 23. Respect the sun
1. Treat vitamin B deficiency
Vitamin B deficiency is the number one cause of premature graying of hair. Take following supplements for a prolonged period of time to stop gray hair and reverse the condition:
- Vitamin B5- Pantothenic acid-at least 50 mg per day.
- Para-aminobenzoic acid-30 mg per day.
- 200 mg of Inositol
Choose a supplement with above formulations. You can also get these vitamins through foods like Yeast, Wheat germ and liver.
2. Drink yogurt and buttermilk with yeast
To reverse gray hair naturally in children, you must drink a liter of yogurt with a teaspoon of yeast daily. This will help your body create B vitamins in the intestine naturally and reverse gray hair.
3. Eat black raisins
Soak a handful of black raisins in water overnight. Next morning, eat them and also drink the water used for soaking. Do this daily, on an empty stomach. This will keep you regular and prevent constipation. The iron in the raisins will keep anemia at bay- one of the leading causes of premature gray hair and hair fall.
4. Get calcium, iron, zinc, copper and iodine through diet or supplements
These are some important minerals to stop graying of hair naturally. Most of them can be obtained through a diet rich in sea food. The best way to get calcium is uing dairy products, dark leafy green vegetables, broccoli etc. You can also take calcium supplements as advised by a doctor. Iron can be obtained through dark green veggies, cereals, lean meat, etc. Zinc is obtained through sea food. Copper can be obtained through sesame seeds, sea food, liver or veal, and dark chocolate containing over 60% cocoa. You can also drink fresh juice made from capsicum, lettuce, carrots and alfa alfa to prevent copper deficiency and maintain hair health.
5. Drink milk with wheat germ
This remedy will replenish your calcium levels and wheat germ will provide iron to ward off anemia-the leading cause of gray hair in children and adults in their 20s. Drink this every day to reverse gray hair. You can also drink milk with pepper powder to reverse gray hair naturally.
6. Eat plenty of carrots and bananas
Carrots and bananas are rich in iodine which is one of the most important mineral required for preventing premature graying of hair. Bananas are also rich in B vitamins like Biotin that is needed for strong nails and hair. Carrots furnish fresh blood and maintain good health of hair.
7. Use Amla or Indian gooseberry- a powerful remedy to stop graying of hair naturally
Amla is a green sour fruit which is packed with antioxidants such as Vitamin C. It is a traditional ayurvedic treatment for premature gray hair. Amla powder is readily available in Indian stores all around the world. These days Amla capsules are also available online. Take 2 capsules daily to stop gray hair in its tracks. You can also make a DIY homemade hair pack with amla powder, henna powder and olive oil or yogurt. Apply this to the hair and keep on for 3 hours. This will give your hair a reddish tinge and also supply nutrition to the scalp. Amla juice can also be used for massaging scalp. Amla can be eaten daily dried or fresh.
8. Coconut oil head massage
Massaging your hair and especially the roots of hair and scalp can strengthen hair follicles and prevent gray hair naturally. Perform a head massage with coconut oil or almond oil twice a week at bed time. Wash off hair with an herbal shampoo the next morning. To make the coconut oil even more effective, boil some grated Amla (Indian gooseberry pieces) and steep for 6-8 hours. Apply the cooled oil to the hair and scalp. If Amla is not available, add a few teaspoons of lemon juice to the oil before massage. This is a powerful gray hair remedy that can restore natural hair color.
9. Use curry leaves
This is another powerful Ayurvedic treatment for premature gray hair in children and adults. Eat plenty of curry leaves (available readily at Indian stores). You can also boil the curry leaves in some coconut oil until the oil turns dark. Once cooled, apply this mixture to the hair and scalp. Do this head massage once or twice a week and leave the oil overnight.
10. Rinse hair with black tea
Brew regular black tea and cool it. Once cooled, use it as a final rinse for washing the hair. Do not towel dry and allow the hair to dry naturally. This will give a darkish tinge to the hair and also nourish the hair and scalp. Alternatively, massage the brewed tea into the scalp and leave on for an hour before washing with tepid water.
11. DIY Yogurt pack for gray hair
To cure premature graying of hair, use this DIY homemade hair pack. Mix a cup of yogurt and some coffee powder or black pepper. Blend this mixture well and apply it to the hair. Wash off after an hour with some mild shampoo. The pepper or coffee powder helps your hair get a brownish tinge while yogurt conditions and nourishes the hair to ward of graying and other problems like dandruff.
12. Henna pack to get rid of premature gray hair
Henna powder is readily available at many online and offline retailers. Make sure the henna you buy is of organic variety free from indigo and other dyes. Test the henna on a small patch on the skin before using it for treating premature gray hair. Make a DIY homemade hair coloring pack with henna, brewed tea or coffee, a few drops of olive oil, and some yogurt. Mix all ingredients well in a cast iron utensil and leave in a warm place for few hours till the henna obtains a dark reddish color. Apply the mixture all over the hair. Use gloves as the dye can stain your hands orange-reddish in color. Also protect your clothes with an old towel. Leave the mixture on the hair for 3-4 hours. Wash the hair with warm water. Do not use a shampoo but do use a conditioner as the henna can dry your hair and strip it off the natural oils. Use this DIY henna coloring remedy to reverse gray hair once a month. Those with blonde or light silver hair will get reddish hair while those with dark hair will acquire a reddish orange tinge to the hair.
13. Massage hair with ghee
Ghee is clarified butter. You can easily make this at home by boiling organic butter until the whey separates. Drain the liquid part-cool it and apply it to the roots of the hair. Wash off as usual.
14. Rub your nails together- a surprising remedy to reverse gray hair naturally
Close your palms gently so that your nails are turned inwards. Now bring your hands close together and rub your nails against each other. Do this every time you are watching TV or during breaks from work. This simple remedy can help you get rid of gray hair naturally by stimulating energy points on the scalp.
15. Chinese herbs for graying hair
Many traditional Chinese remedies can reverse gray hair and restore the natural color of hair. Shen Men and FoTi (also called Polygonum Multiflorum or Ho Shu Wu) mixed together can reverse gray hair. Take the supplements as advised by a herbalist.
16. Homeopathic remedies to stop and reverse gray hair
Many wonderful homeopathic remedies have shown great results in premature gray hair in children and adults. 6 X, 30X, 6C or 30C potency may be used based on complete medical history and exact symptoms.
- Kali Phos 6- reduces stress related premature graying of hair
- Nat Phos 10- reduces acidity and toxicity and increases iron absorption
- Silicea- Helps retain natural color of hair. Recommended for timid, shy people or those who suffer from excess cold, sunken eyes, weak nails etc.
- Lycopodium- Given when there is gas, anxiety, low self esteem, digestive issues.
- Phosphoric acid- recommended for graying of hair occurring from shock or trauma.
- Kali Iod- for thyroid related graying of hair
- Arsenicum Album- for stressed people who are over achievers and wish to obtain perfection.
- Sulphur- For people with scalp problems and skin issues.
17. Avoid harsh chemicals and hair treatments
Many hair products available in the market actually damage the hair follicles turning them gray. Avoid using chemicals and dyes as far as possible. Also avoid excess heat which can stress the hair and cause permanent damage. If you wish to camouflage the grays, use natural dyes like henna mentioned above. This can help you get rid of gray hair naturally.
18. Avoid styling wet hair
Hair is very weak when it is wet. Stay away from styling treatments when the hair is wet. Gently towel dry or air-dry the hair before using treatments and products.
19. Avoid hot water for washing hair
Excess heat tends to damage the hair and make it weak. Always use tepid or cool water when shampooing and washing hair.
20. Groom and comb hair daily
Unclean hair can lead to accumulation of debris at the roots of the hair, preventing them from absorbing the nutrition. So avoid using harsh products that cause build up and keep the hair clean. Use a mild shampoo and conditioner. Comb the hair twice a day to stimulate blood circulation and strengthen the hair shaft. You can also do a self massage with your fingers to stimulate circulation to the scalp.
21. Drink lots of water
Water enables the blood to carry the nutrients required for healthy hair. So drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily.
22. Combat stress through good sleep and exercise
Stress is another cause behind premature graying of hair. So try and exercise for at least 30 minutes each day to stimulate feel good endorphins that reduce stress. You can also go for Yoga and meditation. Do deep breathing exercises daily and get a good night’s rest for at least 7-8 hours. This is essential to stop premature graying of hair naturally.
23. Respect the sun
Protect the hair from harsh UVA and UVB rays of the sun. Wear a scarf or a wide brimmed hat. Seek shade where possible and stay indoors during peak sunny hours between 10 am to 4 pm as far as possible.
Be consistent and use these 23 natural remedies to cure premature graying of hair naturally.