Bulging veins on hands betray us-they make us look older than we are and are often painful. There are many factors that cause veins on hands and feet to swell up, aging being number one. Other factors include genetics, poor circulation, unhealthy lifestyle and imbalanced diets. Today we will take a look at some natural remedies to make these unsightly veins appear less pronounced.
Table of Contents
1. Massage and Aromatherapy
Massage the arms and legs having bulging veins using essential oils, coconut oil or sesame oil. Castor oil is also a great remedy for bulging veins as it promotes circulation and prevents swelling. Massage the oil of your choice on the veins each night before bed. This will make the skin soft and supple. Cover up with old socks or gloves and also use old sheets to prevent staining. You need to do this each night to see results. Top essential oils for bulging veins on hands are:
- Basil oil
- Lavender oil
- Cedarwood oil
- Cypress oil-This is the best essential oil to treat swollen veins. Use this oil as a hot compress.
- Tea tree oil
- Niaouli oil
- Myrrh oil- Mix this with Cypress and Olive oils to massage the veins.
- Geranium oil-Add geranium oil to your favorite had cream and massage
You may also take following oils internally: Lemon oil, Helichyrsum oil and Niaouli oil. Make sure these oils are ‘food grade’. Mix them up with vegetable oil in a capsule and take it once a day to reduce swelling and bulging of veins.
2. Apple cider vinegar
Organic apple cider vinegar is a cure-all remedy to fight inflammation and swelling. Drink it with water 2-3 times a day, daily to prevent swollen, visible veins. It is best to drink apple cider vinegar before meals. Also add a bit of juice or honey to make it more palatable. Always choose unpasteurized, raw and organic vinegar. You can also apply apple cider vinegar topically over the bulging veins on hands and feet and add it to bath water.
This is an enzyme obtained from silkworm intestine; it is well known for preventing swelling and edema, varicose veins and clogged arteries. Serrapeptase is known to dissolve blood clots and protect against strokes. Patients taking medications like blood thinners must not use this enzyme.
There are many herbs you can use for hiding swollen veins on hands:
- Grape tea/tincture or Grapevine poultices– Apply the poultice of grape vine on the swollen veins. This will shrink the veins with regular use. You can also use grape-leaf infused vinegar both internally and topically to shrink swollen veins.
- Horse chestnut and Butcher’s Broom– Both herbs help with improving appearance of vsible veins on hands and legs. Do not take these herbs prior to undergoing any surgery etc. Take up to 300 mg of each or as advised by herbalist.
- Echinacea– This remedy can reduce swelling and pain associated with varicose veins.
- Witch hazel– Witch hazel is extremely beneficial in reducing swelling when used topically. It is astringent, soothing and healing remedy that can make your veins stop popping out.
- Pilewort-This is a popular herbal remedy to make veins less visible. Make a warm compress or poultice with its crushed root or leaves and press it gently on swollen veins. This will reduce the swelling and make veins less visible. You can also make pilewort ointment by mixing the extracts of pilewort with equal amounts of lard and applying to the hands.
- Bilberry and yarrow poultice or compress applied to the hands/legs/feet can prevent veins from popping out.
- Blackberry tea-Drink the tea made from blackberry leaves to promote blood circulation. This remedy can help remove varicose veins in hands naturally.
5. Treat bulging and visible veins with alum and lard
This is another remedy for swollen veins. Mix 1 tsp powdered alum with 1 ½ oz lard. Apply to swollen veins. With regular use, this remedy can curb bulginess.
Eat 3-4 cloves of garlic every day to reduce swollen veins. You can also massage visible veins with garlic oil or cream.
7. Lemon juice and baking soda
Another home remedy for veins on hands is a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda. Mix up the juice of half a lemon or lime with a teaspoon of baking soda and drink the mixture with some water. Use this home remedy for popping veins regularly to see results. It helps fight inflammation and balances the acid-alkaline ratio.
8. Lifestyle and dietary changes
In order to make veins on hands less visible, you may have to stop weight lifting and excess exercise. Limit weight-training to once a week. Heavy weights tend to stretch the skin and make your veins more pronounced. Also quit smoking. Nicotine and tobacco make the skin dry and swallow which causes the veins to bulge out. Eat a balanced diet with vitamins, minerals, proteins and omega 3 fatty acids. Avoid excess caffeine, soda, chocolate, sugary foods and alcohol.
Use these home remedies and natural herbs to hide bulging, visible veins in hands.