Pharyngitis is the inflammation of the pharynx which causes sore throat and runny nose. It is usually attributed to viruses; therefore antibiotics might not be effective in treating it. Acute pharyngitis could sometimes accompany swollen or red tonsils, fever, fatigue and swollen lymph nodes. Presenting some effective home remedies for pharyngitis in toddlers and adults:
Table of Contents
- 1. Elderberry
- 2. Echinacea and astragalus
- 3. Garlic
- 4. Sage or Salvia officinalis
- 5. Ginger lemon tea
- 6. Apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper
- 7. Hydrogen peroxide
- 8. Clove
- 9. Hot compress
- 10. Turmeric for pharyngitis
- 11. Coconut milk, turmeric and pepper sore throat drink
- 12. Essential oils
- 13. Honey
- 14. Supplements
This is the best herb for relieving pain caused by sore throat. It is sweet, so toddlers and adults alike will love the tea made with elderberry. Sweet elderberry syrup is also available in the market. The herb strengthens the immune system and stops a cold in its tracks.
Dosage: Elderberry glycerite 1:4 ratio 30 drops 3 times a day.
2. Echinacea and astragalus
These herbs are effective remedies to treat granular pharyngitis. Both these herbs boost the white blood cells which are essential for fighting infections. Note: stop giving Echinacea once the fever drops. This is necessary to allow the immune system to work on its own.
Dosage: Echinacea purpurea seed in glycerite or tincture-30 drops three times a day. Astragalus root tincture 1:2 ratio 30 drops 2 times a day.
Garlic has antifungal, anti-bacterial, and antiviral properties which make it the best sore throat treatment. Mince some garlic and add it to soups, stews and broth. Add plenty of garlic, raw or roasted, to strengthen immunity. This natural antibiotic can help you get rid of pharyngitis overnight.
Dosage: 1-3 cloves minced daily.
4. Sage or Salvia officinalis
A study has shown that sage spray used on 300 patients having severe sore throat effectively stopped the pain compared to a placebo in nearly 286 cases. Use sage tea or gargle with sage tincture diluted using warm water as best medicine for sore throat.
Dosage: 15% spray every 3-4 hours.
5. Ginger lemon tea
In a cup, grate an inch of ginger root. Pour a cup of hot water over the grated ginger. Add to this, half a lemon squeezed. Mix well. Allow the tea to cool a bit. Then add raw, organic honey and drink this tea 4-5 times a day. This tea will cure pharyngitis quickly.
6. Apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper
Mix ½ tbsp of organic apple cider vinegar and ½ tsp of cayenne pepper. Add a bit of warm water and some salt to the mixture. Use this tonic to gargle three or four times a day. Also take sips of this tonic to cure sore throat immediately. You may also use just the vinegar for gargling as best sore throat remedy.
7. Hydrogen peroxide
Mix 1 tbsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide with 4 to 5 tbsp of warm water. Use the solution to gargle 3-4 times a day. This remedy will soothe the throat and give you instant relief.
Burnt clove is the best sore throat medicine. Roast a clove until it is aromatic. Cool it a bit, then chew it to release the oil. The oil will coat the throat and stop pain and inflammation. A few drops of clove oil mixed with honey eaten every few hours will also alleviate throat pain. This is a well known pharyngitis treatment in Ayurveda.
9. Hot compress
Soak a clean soft cloth in hot infusion of thyme or sage. Wring out the cloth and wrap it around your throat. Cover the compress with a warm woolen scarf. Your pain will stop almost immediately.
10. Turmeric for pharyngitis
You can use turmeric for pharyngitis treatment in following ways:
- Heat up a glass of water. Add a pinch of turmeric to it along with some salt. Use this tea to gargle 2-3 times a day and particularly before bedtime. This remedy will prevent pain and swelling.
- Drink a cup of hot milk mixed with a teaspoon of turmeric and some honey before bedtime to stop sore throat, cough and other upper respiratory symptoms.
- Take 500 mg of turmeric or curcumin extract pills to boost the immune system.
11. Coconut milk, turmeric and pepper sore throat drink
Here is a great recipe for sore throat accompanying pharyngitis
- Boil a cup of water and add 1 tsp organic turmeric powder, ½ tsp of freshly powdered peppercorns and some honey. Heat until the liquid is reduced to half.
- Add coconut milk or cold pressed coconut oil to this beverage and drink it hot.
This anti-inflammatory beverage can soothe the sore throat and fight pain and inflammation.
12. Essential oils
Add a few drops of eucalyptus or lavender essential oils to a steamer. Inhale the vapors (by bending your towel covered head over the steamer) for 10-15 minutes. This will clear mucus, soothe the nasal passage and airways and allow you to breathe easily. The hoarseness and pain accompanying sore throat will also go away.
Honey has natural antibacterial properties which makes it particularly effective against infections. Drink warm water mixed with honey. You can also add some grated ginger and a dash of lemon juice to this sore throat tea.
Take following supplements to strengthen immunity and prevent potential infections:
- Vitamin A- 1 dose of 100000 IU
- 500 to 1000 mg of Vitamin C 2-3 times a day
- Vitamin D-1000-4000 IU per day
- Zinc 10-20 mg per day
- Vitamin E-100-400 IU per day
Use these 14 home remedies to get rid of pharyngitis quickly.