Hay fever does not actually produce a fever but it does cause annoying symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, congestion, headaches and watery eyes etc. These are more than enough to make one feel run down. Now that allergy season is just about to begin, let us study some natural remedies to cure hay fever permanently.
Table of Contents
- 1. Butterbur
- 2. Get rid of pollen in your environment
- 3. Roasted coffee beans
- 4. Snort some salt water
- 5. Hay fever remedies for eyes
- 6. Eat hot and spicy foods
- 7. Venture out at the right time
- 8. Essential oils
- 9. Bromelain
- 10. Supplements to get rid of hay fever
- 11. Get herbal support
- 12. Homeopathic remedies for hay fever
Butterbur is one of the best natural remedies for treating seasonal allergies. It has anti-allergenic, antispasmodic, and analgesic properties that mediate the allergic reaction and fight inflammation in upper respiratory system. Butterbur is readily available today in the form of capsules and tinctures. Many manufacturers also combine it with other ingredients like Vitamin C, nettle, and Quercetin which work in tandem to prevent red, itchy eyes, runny nose and sneezing etc.
2. Get rid of pollen in your environment
Some easy hayfever relief tips include reducing allergens like dust, mites and pollen in your bedroom:
- Take a bath before bedtime-make sure to wash your hair.
- Keep windows and doors shut during the day.
- Vacuum several times a day. Wipe down surfaces.
- Change your clothes 2-3 times a day.
- Keep pets out of your room.
- Wash your clothing, linen and rugs in hottest water.
- Encase your mattress in plastic covers to prevent pollen and dust.
3. Roasted coffee beans
Roast some coffee beans on medium heat and inhale its fumes for instant relief from runny nose, watery eyes etc.
4. Snort some salt water
Heat up some water and add a teaspoon of salt in it. Cool the solution and fill it up in a neti pot. Alternatively, use a dropper to pour a few drops in each nostril. Ideally, the water from one nostril should come out of the other nostril. This will reduce congestion, runny nose and mucus and prevent sore throat as well.
5. Hay fever remedies for eyes
There are many hay fever remedies for eyes:
- Place brewed green/black tea bags on closed eyes and relax for 10 minutes.
- Use cool wet eye pads on eyes until the pads become warm to touch.
- Wash the eyes with cool water every few hours.
- Place cooling cucumber slices or potato slices on the eyes.
- Use solutions like EYEBRIGHT which can help with red, itchy and watery eyes
6. Eat hot and spicy foods
There is a saying that goes: fight fire with fire. Eating hot foods can relieve sinusitis and let you breathe easier. Soups, broths and stews with garlic and hot peppers can also relieve sore throat. These comforting foods also help you sleep better. Include hot, red peppers and garlic in your cooking. Compounds like capsaicin present in bell peppers and cayenne peppers help fight inflammation.
7. Venture out at the right time
Pollen levels fluctuate through the day; they are at their peak in the morning. So avoid going out during day time. You can, instead, venture out in the late afternoon or early evening.
8. Essential oils
There are many essential oils for hay fever cure breakthrough. Australian researchers particularly recommend Eucalyptus oil for laundering clothing and bed linen in as it is known to slash allergens by more than 90%! Mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil with liquid washing detergent. Add it to the wash cycle as usual. You can also inhale the vapors of essential oils like Peppermint, Tea Tree and Eucalyptus for relief from congestion, runny nose, headache etc. Add these to your humidifier or a oil diffuser.
Bromelain compound is found in pineapple and papaya. It helps reduce symptoms of allergies by fighting inflammation. You can take capsules of bromelain extracts.
10. Supplements to get rid of hay fever
Take the following supplements to cure hay fever permanently:
- Quercetin-This acts as antihistamine and fights allergens. It is also anti-inflammatory.
- Vitamins B and C- These improve the body’s natural defense mechanism to fight infections.
- Zinc- Enhances immune function.
11. Get herbal support
Hayfever relief tips also include herbal support. Apart from taking butterbur, following herbal supplements, teas or tinctures can help:
- Grapeseed extract- This has anti-inflammatory properties. It also acts as free radical scavenger.
- Nettle leaf-Prevents reaction to hay fever
- Horseradish- Helps with runny nose and congestion
- Horehound- prevents reaction to hay fever.
- Stinging nettle-Gets rid of excess mucus and prevents reaction to hay fever.
- Turmeric- Is anti-inflammatory and prevents sore throats.
12. Homeopathic remedies for hay fever
Homeopaths generally prescribe Sabadilla, Wyethia, Sulphur, Psorinum, or Silicea to eradicate hay fever permanently. However, you need to take the prescribed remedy for at least 2 years to see results.
We hope these adult and children’s hay fever natural remedies give you much needed relief.