The best herbs for flu symptoms are the ones that get rid of colds, sore throat, body aches, congestion and fever. If you want to get rid of the flu within 24 hours, try these homemade herbal tea and broth recipes for flu. We will also discuss the best herbs for flu, colds, sinus and coughs.
Table of Contents
Catnip is one of the best herbs for flu which you can easily grow in your garden. It belongs to the mint family which, as we all very well know, is one of the best herbal flu remedies. Catnip was extensively used in ancient Egypt where people drank this herbal tea in the afternoons to aid digestion, prevent coughs, soothe stomach upsets and relieve symptoms of fever, nasal congestion etc. Fresh leaves of catnip are packed with many vitamins and antioxidants. You can even make this herbal tea for childhood colic pain, since the volatile oils in Catnip leaves absorb intestinal gas. Catnip tea is sedative and can help you sleep better when suffering from body aches associated with flu.
Here is how to make catnip tea: Steep a teaspoonful of dried catnip flowers in a cup of hot water for 10-15 minutes. For added flavor, add some honey or lemon. Drink several cups a day to get rid of the flu in 24 hours. Do not use catnip when pregnant.
2. Rosemary and Eucalyptus
Both these herbal remedies for flu can help you get rid flu related aches and pains. Rosemary is especially a relaxing herb that reduces stress and tension. It can help you get rid of aches and pains. Eucalyptus, on the other hand, is a wonderful herbal flu medicine to get rid of nasal congestion, headache, muscle aches, sore throat and so on.
You can use these herbal remedies for flu colds in a number of ways:
- Massage and bath oils: Add a few drops of rosemary and eucalyptus essential oils to any carrier oil (coconut, olive oil etc) and massage your neck, back and feet. Also use the oils as a chest rub to get rid of cough, chest congestion etc. You can even add a few drops of the oil to your bath water to soak in it.
- Room diffuser– Add a few drops of any one or both oils to a room diffuser where you sleep. The relaxing aroma of the oils can relieve congestion, headaches and body aches. These herbs also ensure that you get a good night’s sleep to heal your body.
- Herbal tea flu remedy: Add dried rosemary herb to a cup of hot water and allow it to steep for 10 minutes. Drink it hot, several times a day.
- Herbal decongestant inhalant remedy– Mix equal parts of dried rosemary and catnip and add 4-5 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil. Place the mixture in a muslin bag. Inhale this from time to time to get rid of nasal congestion and headache.
Much research has been done on this wonderful, homemade herbal flu remedy. While Elderberry does nothing to the flu virus, it boosts the body’s immunity to help it fight the infection. Hippocrates also used Elderberry herb in his medicine chest (in as early as 400 BC!) to treat patients facing respiratory issues.
To make homemade elderberry flower tea for flu-Place 2 tsp of dried flowers of elderberry in a pot and pour a cup of hot water on top. Steep it for 10 minutes. Drink hot.
Many tests have been conducted on Echinacea as an effective herbal flu remedy and while the results have been inconclusive, patients who take it regularly report having shorter duration of colds and flu. Echinacea is also being hailed as wonder herb as it has millions of health benefits including boosting immunity, fighting bacterial, fungal and Candida infections as well as preventing certain cancers etc.
How to use Echinacea herb to fight colds coughs and flu: You can use decoction, tinctures or pills of Echinacea herbal flu remedy. To make homemade herbal flu medicine with Echinacea, add 2 tsp of the root to a cup of water. Boil the mixture, then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes. Strain before drinking. You can also take 1 tsp of Echinacea tincture up to 3 times a day.
5. Homemade Herbal Flu Remedy And Detox Broth
Drink this broth which is an effective homemade herbal flu remedy, when suffering from cold, cough and sore throat. It is a wonderful Chinese herbal flu remedy containing Ginseng, Shitake mushrooms and Dioscorea tubers.
- ½ cup barley
- 1 potato-peeled and chopped
- 5 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 chopped beets
- ½ head of garlic crushed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 parsley bunch, chopped
- 6 dried red dates
- 1 inch ginseng root
- 1 inch ginger root
- 2 3-inch slices of Dioscorea tubers
- 12 dried Shitake mushrooms
- 10 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Add all ingredients in a heavy pot or slow cooker. Boil, then reduce to medium heat. Simmer for 1 ½ hours. Drink hot.
6. Other top herbal flu remedies
Other best herbal flu remedies are: Licorice, Mint leaves, Mulberry leaves, Honeysuckle flowers, Ginger, Chrysanthemum, Green tea, Cinnamon, Cayenne, Clove and Pepper etc.
The next time you are down with the flu; try these natural herbal flu remedies to get quick relief.