A number of factors cause an itchy scalp: inadequate rinsing after shampooing, dandruff, ringworm, eczema or psoriasis, salt and chemicals in the water, as well as harsh hair products that cause a scalp buildup. Sometimes, central heating or severe allergies can also cause scalp itchiness. In any case, an itchy scalp can be very embarrassing. Today, we are presenting 15 itchy scalp home remedies to give you relief.
Table of Contents
- 1. Apple cider vinegar itchy scalp treatment
- 2. Shampoo every other day
- 3. Lemon juice for itchy scalp treatment
- 4. Aloe Vera
- 5. Use scalp conditioner regularly
- 6. Almond and olive oil
- 7. Vitamin E
- 8. Herbs to relieve the scalp itch
- 9. Yogurt
- 10. Essential oils for itchy scalp treatment
- 11. Homemade dry itchy scalp shampoo recipes
- 12. Witch hazel
- 13. Neem oil
- 14. Drink plenty of water
- 15. Use a humidifier in winters
1. Apple cider vinegar itchy scalp treatment
Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar itchy scalp treatment is a proven method for getting rid of dry itchy scalp. ACV can get rid of buildup caused by shampoos, hair dyes and other products. To use, add a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar to a mug of water and pour it all over your scalp as a final rinse (following shampoo and conditioner0. Use this dry itchy scalp remedy each time you wash your hair.
2. Shampoo every other day
Shampooing with a mild shampoo can keep scalp itchiness to a minimum. Shampoo cleanses the scalp and helps get rid of dandruff it that is the cause of itchiness. Follow this remedy with vinegar rinse or lemon water rinse. Buy shampoos with tea tree oil, rosemary or peppermint that cool inflammation to stop itchiness.
3. Lemon juice for itchy scalp treatment
Squeeze an entire lemon in some warm water. Pour this over the scalp. Do not rinse or dry with a towel. Let your hair air-dry instead. This is one of the top home remedies for itchy scalp and hair loss. You can also use the leftover lemon peels for this remedy. After you have used lemon juice, do not discard their peels-but save them and make a solution by boiling them for 10 minutes in water.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Ver gel s one of the best home remedies for itchy scalp and hair loss or dandruff. Cut open the leaf of an Aloe plant, and directly apply the gel on the scalp. Massage it in. Leave the gel on your hair overnight. Wash off the next morning with a mild shampoo to get relief from hair fall, dandruff, dry, frizzy hair and itchy scalp. Repeat this remedy weekly.
5. Use scalp conditioner regularly
Conditioner is necessary if your hair and scalp are very dry. Use one regularly post shampooing.
6. Almond and olive oil
Mix together almond and olive oil in equal quantities and massage them into the scalp. Leave it on for half an hour (or overnight) before washing off with a mild shampoo. Use regularly to get rid of itchy scalp permanently.
7. Vitamin E
Some of the best itchy scalp products available commercially contain Vitamin E. This wonderful antioxidant is also available naturally in Jojoba and Almond oils. Use a hair cream or oil containing Vitamin E for massaging into the hair.
8. Herbs to relieve the scalp itch
Comfrey, nettle, parsley, raspberry leaves, rosemary, thyme and yarrow and some of the most effective herbal home remedies to treat itchy scalp. Boil a handful of these herbs for 10 minutes in a quart of water and pour the cooled ‘tea’ on your hair. You can also boil nettle and rosemary in some olive oil and use the infusion to massage the hair and scalp.
Apply plain yogurt all over the scalp and hair. This will get rid of dandruff and also condition your hair. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice and some Aloe gel to yogurt and make a conditioning mask for dry scalp.
10. Essential oils for itchy scalp treatment
Many aromatherapy essential oils are antifungal, antibacterial and anti-dandruff and help fight dry, itchy scalp. Use any of the following oils for massaging into the scalp: tea tree, lemon, rosemary, lavender, peppermint, bergamot and juniper oils. Dilute the oils with some Jojoba/Olive/Coconut or Argan oils and perform a nightly head and scalp massage. Use regularly to get rid of itchy scalp permanently. You can also mix up these oils in your regular shampoo to get rid of the itch.
11. Homemade dry itchy scalp shampoo recipes
Use any of the following dry itchy scalp recipes:
- Egg and orange shampoo– This is a very easy recipe. Whisk together 1 egg with 1 tbsp orange juice and 300 ml of soapwort infusion. Massage the mixture well into hair and scalp, leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse with cool water. This is a super home remedy for itchy scalp.
- Guava shampoo– Mix together 5 ml Castile soap, 1 ml guava vinegar, and 3 drops each of sandalwood and rosemary essential oils. Mix it well and wash your hair with it. This recipe is ideal for all hair types.
- Baking soda– This is the best homemade dry itchy scalp ‘shampoo’. Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with a teaspoon of water. Massage the paste into the scalp. Unlike regular shampoos, this homemade shampoo does not dry your hair and scalp. In fact; with regular use, your dry itchy scalp will restore its sebum balance to prevent flaking and itching.
12. Witch hazel
Make an infusion of witch hazel with thyme or rosemary and massage into the scalp. This is a wonderful home remedy for oily scalp. You can also use witch hazel as is for massaging into hair and scalp.
13. Neem oil
The Neem tree is native to south Asia and its leaves are rich in antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic compounds. The oil is readily available in the market. Use it for massaging the dry scalp. It is one of the best itchy scalp products and a fantastic remedy for psoriasis and dandruff.
14. Drink plenty of water
Itchy scalp is often a sign of dehydrated skin and scalp. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday.
15. Use a humidifier in winters
Central heating can damage your hair and make your scalp extremely dry and itchy. Run a humidifier at night while sleeping to avoid this.
Treat dry itchy scalp with these 15 simple home remedies and see the difference!