Are you suffering from chronic illnesses like knee pain? Then you may be prescribed drugs to stop it. However, you will find yourself taking these drugs again and again. This is harmful for the system and over time, can lead to serious health issues. As your body develops resistance to the pain medication, you also tend to need higher and higher dose of the drugs to stop the pain. Knee pain can greatly impact one’s quality of life but there are some effective home remedies which can prevent further degradation.
Table of Contents
1. Essential oils
Essential oils are very powerful in alleviating joint aches and pains. They also help you sleep better and reduce swelling. Massage the affected areas with the chosen essential oil by mixing it with some warm olive or sesame oil. The essential oils best for fighting pain and inflammation are: cypress, lemongrass, black pepper and wintergreen oils. Here is a simple blend for knee pain relief at night:
- 2 drops each of Cypress, Lemongrass and Wintergreen oils
- 1-2 tsp of warm olive oil
Massage the blend on the knees for 10 minutes. Repeat as needed.
2. Keep moving
Most men and women avoid exercise when they suffer from knee pain. This only aggravates the pain and further deteriorates the joint. It is important to keep moving. Walk or cycle for 40 minutes each day. Swimming is also a great exercise for painful knees. Yoga poses for knee pain relief can also help.
3. Treat underlying hormonal imbalance
There is a reason why women suffer from knee pain more than men do. Women in the menopausal and perimenopausal years are more likely to hurt their knees due to imbalance of hormones. To treat this imbalance, start living a clean lifestyle. Avoid harmful household cleaners and toxic insecticides in your environment. Eat organic foods. Avoid sugar and processed foods. Read this article on how to treat hormonal imbalance naturally.
Many herbal remedies fight inflammation to give you pain relief from aching, arthritic joints. These are:
- Chamomile– Patients with arthritis can benefit greatly from chamomile tea which is filled with natural anti-inflammatory agents and antioxidants to fight inflammation. Drink 2-3 cups of the tea, especially at night to prevent pain and sleep better.
- Devil’s claw– This herb is a natural cortisol hormone which relieves pain and inflammation. Devil’s claw works by limiting formation of mediators of inflammation and its cortisol like action reduces pain by inhibiting prostaglandins which are mediators of inflammation.
- Turmeric– Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory agent. Take the organic powder or pills which are readily available. You can also make turmeric and ginger tea by boiling both herbs with water and adding some honey and lemon to it. Drinking a glass of warm turmeric milk at nighttime can prevent pain and help you sleep better.
- Ginger– Ginger, like turmeric, is anti-inflammatory herb. Make ginger tea and drink 2-3 cups daily.
5. Mustard oil
Heat some mustard oil and add camphor to it. Let the camphor pellets melt completely. The resulting oil is medicinal and a great knee pain remedy in Ayurveda-the ancient Indian medical science. Massage the blend on the knees in circular motion 3-4 times a day. Cover the knees with gauze as needed. This is a proven remedy to get rid of knee pain fast.
It is a proven fact that diet has a link to rheumatoid arthritis. You also need to maintain a healthy weight to prevent knee pain. Staying away from fast foods and sticking to an organic diet of fresh fruits and vegetables will go a long way in keeping your knees healthy. Here are some foods to avoid and include in daily diet:
- Avoid– Potatoes, eggplants, tomatoes, white foods like dairy and sugar, sweets, acidic foods, caffeinated beverages, citrusy fruits and vegetables and animal proteins.
- Include-Foods high in good fats like olive oil, avocados, nuts and seeds, fatty fish, coconut oil, safflower oil etc which can keep joints healthy, improve motility and prevent inflammation. Almonds, walnuts, canned salmon and sardines, cooked rhubarb, blackstrap molasses and tofu are calcium rich foods that are important for knee pain sufferers.
7. Stay hydrated
Fluids bring healing properties to the knees’ synovial sacs and improve motility while reducing pain. So drink plenty of water and herbal teas. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol which dehydrate the body. Since calcium is a bone building ingredient needed for healthy knees, you can also consider low fat milk. However, dairy can cause inflammation; so opt for enriched rice, soy or almond milk.
Be sure to drink no less than 8 8-oz glasses of water every day.
8. Calcium and vitamin D
Often a deficiency of calcium can lead to joint pain. But calcium obtained from food is inadequately digested. So consider taking a supplement. You also need vitamin D to absorb the calcium. Soaking the early morning sunshine can help you get natural Vitamin D. However, supplementation is also a necessity in most cases. These supplements along with Vitamin B complex and Vitamin E are especially required for preventing knee pain during pregnancy.
9. Fish oil
A natural knee pain solution is fish oil. Fish oil contains omega 3 essential fatty acids (EPA and DHA) that fight inflammation. If your diet is primarily vegetarian, do consider taking fish oil or cod liver oil supplements. Make sure that the supplement you choose is mercury free. Wild Alaskan salmon oil is great. Also eat walnuts, flax seeds, and flax seed oil supplements to get omega 3.
10. Sandalwood paste
Cooling sandalwood paste is a great remedy to bring down knee pain and swelling. Apply the paste o the knees and cover up with bandage. Repeat as needed.
11. Epsom salt soak
Soak in tub bath filled with hot water and cupful of Epsom salts. The magnesium in the salts can reduce pain and swelling.
12. Coconut /mustard/castor oil massage therapy
Daily massage with warm castor oil, mustard oil or coconut oil is also highly beneficial for knee pain sufferers. Gently rub the affected areas with the oil of choice.
We hope these 12 remedies for knee pain give you much needed relief.