A concussion is a brain injury and even the mildest one should be taken seriously. If you have had a concussion once, you are more likely to suffer future traumas when you take a hit. How long a concussion headache lasts depends on the degree or extent of injury. It is very important to rest and allow your brain the time to heal completely. Even symptoms of mild concussions take up to 2 weeks to go away completely. Do not mess with this healing time as failure to do so could actually worsen the damage. Let us study some more natural ways to get rid of a concussion pain fast:
Table of Contents
- 1. Pain medication
- 2. Take frequent naps
- 3. Amino acids
- 4. Reduce inflammatory response of the brain
- 5. Ginger tea
- 6. Alternative pain management therapies
- 7. Herbs for managing concussion pain
- 8. Homeopathic remedies for concussion pain
- 9. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- 10. Eat healthy
- 11. Drink more fluids
- 12. Use ice packs
1. Pain medication
As stated above, concussion headaches can last for nearly 2 weeks. Try taking an Acetaminophen if the pain is unbearable. Avoid NSAID and Aspirin etc which can increase the possibility of bleeding.
2. Take frequent naps
The main thing to do when suffering from concussion is to not exercise the brain too much. Avoid playing video games, reading or doing other work that involves working the brain. Instead rest as much as possible. It is even recommended that you avoid watching TV or using your phones and computers.
3. Amino acids
Amino acids can heal concussion faster and even reduce the headaches. Take D-L Phenylalanine under the recommendation of your doctor. Likewise, 5-HTP or 5 Hydroxy L-Tryptophan can prevent pain and heal the injury quickly. It also aids in better sleep. Glucosamine Sulfate is a better alternative to NSAIDs and Aspirin, owing to its anti-inflammatory properties. Creatine gives the brain intense energy to heal faster and relieve pain. Acetyl L carnitine energizes the brain, and Glutathione is body’s number one intracellular antioxidant.
4. Reduce inflammatory response of the brain
Many supplements can help you heal faster as they work on brain trauma and speed up recovery. Supplements like turmeric and garlic are anti inflammatory and could help you to get over a concussion faster. Take turmeric pills or powder and use garlic in your recipes or take garlic oil capsules.
- Apart from turmeric, ginger, Resveratrol, DHA, Bromelain, Quercetin and Grapeseed extracts can also prevent further inflammation and speed up healing.
- Vitamin D is neuro-protective and choline is critical for brain development.
- Omega 3 essential fatty acids can reconnect damaged neurons in the brain and also help with speedier recovery. Take 2-3 pills of 500 mg of Krill oil (1500 mg per day) or cod liver oil. Also eat flaxseeds, walnuts and fatty fish.
- You can take 240-480 mg of Gingko extract which promotes blood circulation to the brain and speeds up healing.
- Also take Astaxanthin and 2 tsp of coconut oil daily.
- ALA or alpha lipoic acid is an antioxidant to speed up recovery.
- Zinc is needed for the central nervous system and Magnesium is a great weapon against delayed brain injuries.
5. Ginger tea
Ginger relieves pain and can help with nausea and vomiting that occurs after concussion. Drink ginger tea to settle the stomach and also relieve throbbing headaches.
6. Alternative pain management therapies
According to Herbert Benson’s ‘The Relaxation Response’, many natural approaches can help with pain that follows any kind of traumatic injury. He recommends yoga, meditation, chiropractic sessions, and Acupuncture and hypnosis therapy among others. His relaxation response is especially easy to follow: Set aside 20-30 minutes daily when you will not be disturbed. Close your eyes get comfortable and breathe in and out deeply. Relax your muscles. Once finished, keep your eyes closed for a few minutes. Do this daily until the pain goes away.
7. Herbs for managing concussion pain
Feverfew, Arnica, Peppermint, Skullcap, and White Willow bark are some of the best natural remedies for headaches. In fact, many neurologists are known to prescribe chamomile and feverfew for migraine relief that occurs due to concussion. Other herbs to help you sleep better are Melatonin, valerian root and red leaf raspberry tea.
8. Homeopathic remedies for concussion pain
Bryonia, Ferrum phosphoricum, Gelsemium and Natrum muriaticum are some of the popular homeopathic remedies for concussion pain relief. Bach flower remedies like Agrimony and elm can also be used for tension headaches.
9. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
100% oxygen environment through HBOT or hyperbaric oxygen therapy can also help patients with severe concussion.
10. Eat healthy
An anti-oxidant rich diet can help you heal faster and reduce pain and inflammation. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and nuts and seeds. Citrusy fruits rich in Vitamin C can also decrease oxidative stress that occurs after a concussion. Some of the other brain healing super foods to eat include avocados, walnuts, berries, nuts and seeds, butter, cheese, fatty fish etc. Also eat protein (1 gram/kilogram of body weight). It helps heal the brain faster.
11. Drink more fluids
Drink plenty of water, fresh fruit juices and other sugar-free fluids. It is best to stay away from alcohol and caffeinated drinks. Fluids will help you restore lost balance of the body and also speed up healing.
12. Use ice packs
If the concussed patient has a swelling, use an ice pack to bring it down. Avoid extreme temperatures and dress her/him in loose, cotton clothes to prevent the body temperature from rising.
Use these 12 home remedies for concussion to speed up the healing process.