Valley fever is nothing but coccidioidomycosis, a fungal infection common in Southern parts of United States. It is even known to affect humans and canines around parts of Central and South America as well as certain regions of Mexico. The air-borne fungus affects the lungs and several other parts of the body causing varied symptoms like cough, headache, rashes, fever, night sweats, fatigue, joint ache, coughs and lack of appetite. It is often a baffling condition for doctors and patients alike, since many other diseases including Lyme disease can also cause similar symptoms. Today we will study some home remedies and best essential oils for valley fever.
Table of Contents
- 1. Prevent valley fever by avoiding dust
- 2. Take food grade hydrogen peroxide
- 3. Colloidal silver for skin rashes and coughs
- 4. Borax
- 5. Vitamin C
- 6. Turmeric
- 7. Virgin coconut oil
- 8. Mullein leaf tea
- 9. Natural antibiotics for Valley fever
- 10. Black walnut hulls and Pau d’ arco
- 11. Essential oils for Valley fever
1. Prevent valley fever by avoiding dust
Valley fever usually ocurs due to activities that involve digging up dirt. It is best to stay away from airborne dirt and dust and avoid activities like gardening, dusting etc. If you suspect you have the disease, get medical help. Also talk to your family and friends about it. Anyone can get coccidioidomycosis but certain population groups are more susceptible including pregnant women, African Americans, Filipinos, people taking steroids or those with HIV and other serious infections. A blood test, X-ray and biopsy can help diagnose valley fever in the early stages and help prevent long term complications.
2. Take food grade hydrogen peroxide
To reduce valley fever treatment duration, you may take hydrogen peroxide. Start with a very small dose in the beginning. To begin with, add 4-5 drops of food grade hydrogen peroxide to a glass of water. Take this 3 times a day. Slowly increase the quantity until you can take up to 25 drops in 8 oz of water thrice a day. Take this remedy for 6 months. It will reduce severity of symptoms and fight the fungus from inside.
3. Colloidal silver for skin rashes and coughs
This remedy can be useful in treating skin lesions and rashes in humans and pets suffering from symptoms of coccidioidomycosis. Spray some diluted colloidal silver (20 ppm) on the lesions two to three times a day. Colloidal silver is very active against fungal spores and can prevent redness, itchiness and other discomfort. You can even add 10 ppm of colloidal silver to a nebulizer and use this remedy twice a day to reduce coughing.
Apply some diluted borax to the redness and rashes on the skin. Like colloidal silver, this remedy prevents itchiness and flaking. You can even use this remedy to treat skin rashes in pets with valley fever.
5. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a useful remedy for valley fever patients as it helps increase natural defenses of the body. You need to take at least 2000 to 5000 mg per day or as much as you can withstand without suffering from gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea. Some doctors even suggest liposomal Vitamin C as it is easily absorbed by the body to fight infection.
Valley fever can be fatal and you must not take it lightly. Many canines have had their limbs amputated due to this disease. Take turmeric capsules 3-4 times a day to strengthen immunity. The curcumin compound in turmeric is known to boost immunity and help the body fight the fungus.
7. Virgin coconut oil
Coconut oil has mild anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. You can take this remedy for valley fever both internally and externally. Apply the oil on the lesions on the skin to prevent itchiness and stinging sensation. Also take a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil daily. You can take it with turmeric to increase effectiveness of the above remedy.
8. Mullein leaf tea
This herbal remedy for Valley fever acts as a cooling, astringent remedy. It can help with rashes and fever and also prevent coughs. Take mullein leaf tea 2-3 times a day to reduce aches, pains and also strengthen the body’s natural defenses.
9. Natural antibiotics for Valley fever
Nature has given us many natural antibiotics including the following:
- Garlic– Garlic contains allicin which is proven to contain anti-microbial properties. Take raw garlic or roast a few cloves and eat them whole.
- Oregano– This is a powerful herbal remedy for Valley fever. You can use the dried herb in your soups, stews and other recipes. Some people also take Oregano essential oil internally. However, you need to be very cautious with this remedy since oregano oil is very strong when concentrated and can cause severe pain, acidity and other symptoms. It is best to consult an aroma-therapist or an herbalist for the right dosage. Oregamax pills are available in the market-and you can take them as per your doctor’s advice. If you wish to take the oil, add 1-3 drops to a glass of water and drink this 3 times a day.
- Neem– The anti-microbial activity of this medicinal plant is well documented. Many Valley Fever survivors have benefited from regular intake of Neem tea. Note that neem has a bitter taste and, in large quantities, is known to cause stomach problems. Take neem orally only under the supervision of an herbalist.
Other natural antibiotics are Grapeseed extract and Uva Ursi. You can also take herbs like Milk thistle and Artichoke to support the liver function.
10. Black walnut hulls and Pau d’ arco
11. Essential oils for Valley fever
There are many essential oils for valley fever treatment. The main ones are: Oregano, Eucalyptus, Myrrh, Hyssop, and Rosemary oils. Add 3-5 drops of each to a bowl of steaming water. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the vapors. Make sure you use only pure essential oils. Inhaling these medicinal vapors can prevent coughs and also reduce headaches, fever etc.
Valley fever can be a debilitating disease that can significantly impact quality of life. We hope these remedies help give you much needed relief from symptoms.