Straining the voice is a common cause of hoarseness and raspy voice which are nothing but symptoms of laryngitis. Other causes of an inflamed larynx are bacterial or viral infections and underlying health issues like acid reflux. Here are some home remedies to recover your lost voice quickly:
Table of Contents
1. Apple cider vinegar
Take half a glass of warm water and add a tablespoon of organic, raw apple cider vinegar to it. Use the mixture to gargle the throat with. Do this at least 3-4 times a day. This will cure inflammation and pain and help you recover from laryngitis in 24 hours.
2. Rest your vocal cords
Resting the swollen vocal cords for at least 8 hours is the best way to recover lost voice and cure laryngitis quickly. Avoid speaking for a day or two and do not push your vocal cords as this can worsen symptoms. You must even avoid whispering as it causes the cords to bang together as strongly as if you are shouting. If you have to speak, do so only if it is absolutely necessary. Carry a pen and paper or send text messages to convey information.
3. Take steamy showers
Steam inhalation is the best remedy to cure laryngitis. Singers swear by this cure as it helps moisten the throat and enables the voice box to perform better. Inhale the steam by covering your head with a towel over a steaming bowl of water. Add a few drops of essential oils to the steamer if you like. The best essential oils for laryngitis cure are Lemon, Chamomile, Lavender, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Thyme, Pine and Sandalwood. Some of these food grade oils are also safe for gargling. Alternatively, step inside a hot shower for 5-7 minutes.
4. Salt water gargles
Gargling with warm salty water is the quickest way to get back lost voice. You can also add black pepper powder and a bit of distilled vinegar to warm water and use it for gargling to get relief.
5. Stay hydrated
Drink plenty of water to cure sore throat and moisten the vocal cords. At least 8-10 glasses of water per day are a must. You can also drink hot and soothing beverages like herbal teas, green tea, soups, broth and stews etc to cure laryngitis in 24 hours. Following herbal infusions can also be made a part of laryngitis home remedies for adults and children:
- Chamomile tea
- Ginger tea- steep grated ginger in hot water for 5 minutes. Add a bit of honey and drink it 2-3 times a day.
- Echinacea and marshmallow sweetened with licorice or honey. Drink a cup of this tea 2 times to strengthen immunity and soothe the voice box.
- Slippery elm bark tea is particularly beneficial to quickly cure laryngitis in 24 hours.
- Hot lemon and honey drinks are beneficial and so is black currant tea.
6. Use a humidifier
A humidifier will help moisten the throat and prevent hardened mucus and dryness of nasal airways. Dry and cold air often aggravates symptoms of inflammation of throat. So run a cold-air humidifier at night while sleeping.
7. Do not breathe through the mouth
Breathing through the nose lubricates your throat and cords and prevents rasping and hoarseness. To avoid breathing through the mouth, sleep on the back. As far as possible, get rid of deviated septum which causes mouth breathing. People with larger/protruding front teeth must also get them fixed to prevent upper respiratory conditions like laryngitis and swollen tonsils.
8. Quit smoking
Nicotine is a prime cause of throat dryness. It relaxes stomach muscles leading to acid reflux. Acid reflux causes stomach acids to come in contact with the larynx resulting in pain and inflammation. For the same reason, limit your alcohol intake.
Of all laryngitis remedies honey is a predominant one. Drink warm water mixed with a bit of honey to soothe the soreness away. Honey also has antibacterial properties which eliminates germs. Propolis is also a cure for laryngitis.
10. Herbal supplements
Over the counter laryngitis throat lozenges can provide quick relief from pain and soreness. Additionally, use the following herbal supplements to speed up recovery:
- Garlic capsules– These are antibacterial, antiviral and antibiotic.
- Turmeric– Take 500 mg or 1-2 tsp of powder daily with hot milk. Add a teaspoonful to a cup of hot milk. Sweeten with honey and drink before bedtime to get relief from pain and soreness.
- Echinacea and Goldenseal– The tinctures or pills of these herbs help boost immunity and speed up recovery.
- Avoid mint lozenges.
- Do not clear your throat. This action strains the vocal cords further
- Steer clear of nasal decongestants which dry the throat.
- Avoid second hand smoke and polluted areas which dry the throat.
Try these 11 instant cures and home remedies for laryngitis.