Excess facial hair (Hirsutism) is often a matter of concern for many women. Unfortunately, physicians tend to neglect the issue unless the patient herself brings it up first. In most cases, excess facial hair is caused due to excess androgen production. Options for hair removal vary in cost and results so one should evaluate all options before making a decision. Let us take a look at ways to remove facial hair permanently without laser.
Symptoms of Hirsutism
Apart from excess facial hair on lips, cheeks and chin, hirsutism may be accompanied with following symptoms:
- Greasy skin
- Decreased breast size
- Menstrual issues
- Hair loss
- Change in sex drive/ libido
- Deepening of voice
- Increased muscles
Causes of excess facial hair
There are many factors that could lead to increase in facial hair in women, but the main ones are: genetics, race, poly cystic ovarian syndrome, certain drugs, congenital disease, over production of male hormones etc.
Home remedies for facial hair
Bleaching will not reduce the excess hair growth on the face but it can lighten the hair so it is invisible. Results are quick and you can use this method on sideburns, hair on the lips, chin etc as well as on the arms and legs. A downside to this home remedy to remove hair from face is that it could cause rash and skin irritation. You also need to repeat this remedy every few weeks.
2. Depilatory creams
Many good brands of depilatory creams are available in the market. (This is not a natural way to get rid of facial hair as most of these products contain chemicals.) Make sure you test the cream on a small area of the skin first to ensure there is no allergic reaction. Your doctor can also give you prescription based Eflornithine cream which, when applied to the areas with unwanted hair, can show results in 8 weeks.
Shaving is generally not recommended to women to remove facial hair permanently as it can lead to coarser hair and rougher skin. You can go for electric shavers but you need to use them frequently. Most shaving techniques can lead to skin irritation.
This is a natural, though painful way of removing unwanted hair on the face permanently. Tweeze regularly to pull out the hair from the cheeks, under the eyebrows, upper lips, chin, nose etc for a cleaner look.
To remove facial hair permanently with honey, use the following recipe:
- 1 cup raw honey
- Sugar-1 cup
- Lemon juice- ½ a lemon squeezed
Instructions to remove facial hair permanently with honey
- In a small electric pot, mix together honey and sugar and combine well. Add the lemon juice.
- Set the electric pot to low temperature, and cook the mixture on low heat for 2 hours. Let the mixture be thin and flowing consistency.
- Cool the wax a bit by removing the pot’s lid.
- Test the honey wax’s temperature with your finger. If alright, use a flat wooden or rubber spatula to apply the wax on the facial hair. Spread the wax evenly to cover all of the hair.
- Now press down strip of cotton fabric or waxing strips and rub with the hands 3-4 times so that it sticks to the wax.
- Holding the skin around the strip firmly, pull the edge of the strip against the direction of hair growth.
- Repeat for all of the hair.
- You may need to repeat this method of hair removal every few weeks depending on the rate of hair growth.
6. Remedy to get rid of facial hair permanently without shaving or waxing
Mix together turmeric and wheat flour or gram flour in equal quantities. Add a bit of sesame oil to make a thick paste. Apply this all over the facial hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes. Use a washcloth or your fingers to remove the paste. In the process, the paste will exfoliate and remove unwanted hair.
7. Turmeric and milk to remove unwanted hair from face naturally
Mix together just enough milk and 2 teaspoons of organic turmeric powder to make a thick paste. Apply this all over the face where you have hair. Leave it on until the paste dries and skin feels tight. Wash off with cool water. This remedy not only removes unwanted hair; it also lightens the skin. If your skin has become yellow, use cotton pads dipped in milk to cleanse the face.
8. Turmeric and coconut oil unwanted facial hair remover recipe
Mix together turmeric with a bit of warm coconut oil. Leave it o for 30 minutes. Use your finger tips and some lukewarm water to remove unwanted hair and exfoliate the skin. If your skin acquires a yellow hue, you can remove it with cotton pads soaked in cold milk.
9. Gram flour and rose water
Mix together rose water and some gram flour to make a thick paste. Massage the paste all over the face where you have unwanted hair. Let the paste dry until your skin feels tight. Remove the paste using cool water. Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a week to get rid of unwanted hair on face permanently and naturally.
10. Pumice stone
Gently rub a pumice stone all over the facial hair in circular motions. This will exfoliate the skin and remove all of the unwanted hair permanently. Avoid this remedy if you have sensitive skin. Also do not rub the pumice stone too harshly as it could lead to redness, irritation and rashes.
Know of any other ways to remove facial hair permanently without laser, waxing or shaving? Then share them with us! Also check out our article on ways to remove unwanted hair on body here.