Commercial shampoos are full of surfactants that give rise to hair loss, dandruff and even harmful chemical buildup. Manufacturers of so called “herbal shampoos” also add tons of detergents to their products which are not necessary. Not only do these chemicals and toxins enter our freshwater to harm the planet; they also strip our hair off its natural oils leaving it dry and unmanageable. In this guide, we will discuss some of the most effective DIY homemade shampoo remedies that can help reduce buildup without stripping hair of its natural oils.Before we do that, let us study some reasons why natural DIY homemade shampoos are better than commercial ones.
How are we harming our hair with commercial shampoos?
- Hair is just like fiber in our clothing. The more we wash it, the greater is the damage we inflict on it.
- The average American washes his/her hair at least 4.5 times a week-which is way too often than that which is actually necessary-this is according to dermatologists and hairstylists.
- The longer and thicker your hair- the longer you can go without washing it. Even fine hair need not be washed every day.
- Unlike DIY homemade shampoos, Commercial shampoos strip the hair off oils called sebum. To compensate for this loss, the hair produces even more sebum looking greasy the very next day and requiring frequent washing.
- Most conventional shampoo formulations consist of harsh detergents – especially detergents from the sulfate and glycol families. Sodium lauryl sulfate is actually used in engines as a degreaser and now being suspected to be carcinogenic in nature. Even in low doses, it can lead to itchiness, hives, allergic reactions etc.
- Even the so called herbal or organic shampoos contain harsh ingredients. So, DIY natural shampoos are the best solution to washing hair.
DIY natural shampoo remedies
1. DIY homemade shampoo with Apple cider vinegar and Baking soda
More and more women are going in for the No- poo revolution using the baking soda and ACV shampoo. Hundreds of thousands of women have actually stopped buying commercially shampoos altogether. Instead, they are using simple, natural ingredients to wash their hair with.. In the beginning when you start using the ACV and baking soda shampoo method, you might find it odd not getting the usual foam as given off by regular shampoos. But, worry not! Baking soda is hard at work on your hair and scalp and it will help remove all the previous build up left behind by commercial shampoos. Over time, you will start noticing softer, smoother and more manageable tresses.
Here is what you’ll need to make this amazing all natural DIY homemade shampoo
- 1 box baking soda
- 1 cup ACV or Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother. Preferably use the raw, organic unfiltered varieties.
Mix baking soda and ACV and store in a bottle. When you are ready to use it, just add some warm water and pour it over your hair. Rub the mixture all over the scalp. Rinse. Repeat the process massaging the scalp each time with this DIY natural shampoo. Over time, you will get used to the fact that this method does not produce any lather.
2. Avocado Shampoo and Conditioner
You can easily make this shampoo and keep ahead. It stays fresh for up to a week in the refrigerator. The best part about this DIY natural shampoo is that it also acts as a conditioner.
Here is what you need
- 1 avocado-softer and riper the better
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or 1 cup coconut milk
Mix the mashed avocado and mayonnaise or coconut milk. Apply it all over the hair. Keep for 20 minutes. Wash off with water. This DIY homemade shampoo also acts as a conditioner. Use it once a week.
3. Herbal tea shampoo with Castile
This is a wonderful herbal DIY homemade shampoo containing all natural ingredients. Use it for all hair types and follow it up with apple cider vinegar rinse:
- Distilled water-3/4 cup
- 1 Tbsp each of rosemary, nettle, lavender, peppermint and rosemary.
Boil water and add all ingredients above. Let it steep for 30-40 minutes though longer the better. Once cooled, add the following ingredients:
- Liquid castile soap-1/4 cup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp witch hazel or Aloe vera gel
- Optional- add a few drops of rosemary essential oil or any other oil you like
Mix all ingredients and store in a bottle. It will last you for several weeks if stored in a cool dry place.
4. Natural homemade shampoo with beer for curly hair
This is especially a great natural shampoo recipe for African American non-relaxed hair. Apply some beer at room temperature to curly hair. Rinse with lukewarm water. Beer helps remove buildup and also conditions the hair. This is one of the best homemade shampoo recipes for curly/kinky hair as it helps condition the dry unmanageable hair making it softer, smoother and shinier.
5. Coconut milk and castile soap shampoo for dry hair
This is one of the best homemade shampoo remedies for the DIY enthusiasts. Simply add half a cup of coconut milk to 3 tablespoons of liquid castile soap. Apply all over the hair and scalp. Wait for 10 minutes for the coconut milk to condition the dry hair, then rinse off with warm water. You do not need any separate conditioning following this DIY natural shampoo treatment for dry hair. You can even make bar soaps out of this mixture- freeze the mixture in ice cream cups or silicone molds and use for later. Simply thaw the frozen soap bars the night before you wash.
6. Cleansing honey and milk DIY natural homemade shampoo
Both honey and milk have cleansing and antibacterial properties. Add half a cup of raw milk to 1/4 cup of honey and blend in a mixer. Apply the mixture to the hair and scalp and wait for 10 minutes before washing off. This is a good remedy for dry, dull and frizzy hair as well as for dandruff.
7. Dry powder shampoo for oily hair with cornstarch
This is one of the best remedies for oily greasy hair and scalp and is especially meant for people who have busy mornings which leave them no time to wash their hair. Apply cornstarch powder all over the scalp and roots of hair. Let it work its magic before combing and styling as usual. Instead of cornstarch, you could also use dry colloidal oatmeal or Arrowroot powder.
Use these awesome DIY homemade shampoo remedies for all kinds of hair problems and see your hair shine with health.