Collagen is a protein substance that is found naturally in our skin. However, as we age, this layer starts diminishing resulting in fine lines, wrinkles and drooping skin. Collagen is what gives the skin more volume and a youthful complexion. It is no wonder that many skin care companies claim to add collagen in their products. Many of these expensive skin creams do nothing more than sit on top of our skin trapping debris, bacteria and dead skin cells. So today, we will be studying how to make your own collagen serum and masks at home. These can give your skin a youthful glow and slow down effects of aging. Remember: apart from topical use, you also need to eat a collagen boosting diet. We will first study what foods to eat to boost skin cell turnover naturally and then check out easy homemade collagen serum recipes. Don’t forget to read our article on home remedies for wrinkles.
Foods to eat to boost Collagen
- Cod liver oil- This may not be as decadent as chocolate but it can do wonders for the skin. Cod liver oil contains both Vitamins A and D along with Omega 3 essential fatty acids. These nutrients help in wrinkle repair by increasing the turnover of the epidermis. Vitamin D prevents sagging skin and boosts cell renewal. You can take supplements or eat fatty fish.
- Eggs– Embryonic foods like eggs contain collagen. So go ahead and eat a couple of eggs daily. You can eat only egg whites if you are concerned about cholesterol. Eggs are also excellent ingredients to add to collagen face masks and serums.
- Beans, nuts and seeds– Beans are packed with proteins whereas nuts and seeds give you vitamin E along with collagen boosting omega 3. Additionally, they also contain zinc. Walnuts, almonds, flax seeds and sunflower seeds are great to snack upon and do wonders for your skin.
- Collagen boosting fruits-Certain fruits can prevent premature aging. Choose red colored fruits and veggies like strawberries, onions and red peppers. Additionally, all berries, carrots, sweet potatoes, beets, cucumbers, celery and dark leafy green vegetables like spinach and kale are collagen boosting. Avocados contain good fats which prevent the skin from drying out. You can also use avocado in your homemade collagen face mask.
How To Make Your Own Collagen Masks and Serums
1. Avocado Carrot Homemade Collagen Face Mask
Blend together an avocado and carrot. Transfer the pulp to a bowl and add an egg white. Beat well. Add 2-3 teaspoons of organic honey and cream. Blend again. Apply to skin on the face and neck. Let the mask dry naturally. Wash off with cool water. The natural oils, vitamins, minerals and proteins in the mask will give you an instant face lift. They are also easily absorbed by the skin where these nutrients penetrate the layers to tone, lift, nourish and hydrate dry and aging skin.
2. Banana and Honey Easy DIY Collagen Mask
This simple face mask penetrates the skin to give you an instant face lift. Blend together ripe banana and organic honey and work the mixture directly into the skin. Leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing clean. Follow up with a toner. Being a rich source of vitamins C and B6, bananas replenish skin cells and help improve skin elasticity and suppleness.
3. Chamomile Carrot Marigold Homemade Collagen Mask
Blitz together a marigold flower, chamomile flower, carrot and oats in a blender. Add a teaspoon of pure Almond oil to the mixture and rub the paste on the face and neck. Leave it on for 10 minutes. Wash off with a mild cleanser. This stimulating homemade collagen face mask reduces dryness and nourishes deeply to tighten pores.
4. Strawberry Face Mask
Strawberries are rich in Vitamins C and folic acid. Both these help regenerate new cells and improves cell turnover.
- ½ cup fresh strawberries
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 egg white
Blend all ingredients and spread the pulp on the face, neck and chest. You can easily store the mixture in the refrigerator for up to a week. Leave it on for 20 minutes and wash off. Use once a week to rejuvenate the skin.
5. Easy Homemade Collagen Serum
Ginger has collagen boosting properties. Rose oil is one of the best essential oils to use in homemade face serums to fight wrinkles and blemishes and boost elastin.
- 1 oz fresh ginger juice or pure ginger essential oil
- Jojoba oil- 1 oz
- 5 drops each pure Chamomile oil and Rose oil
In a glass dropper bottle, combine all the oils. Shake the bottle well to combine. Apply daily all over the face and neck to reduce dark circles, under-eye puffiness and wrinkles.
6. Homemade Collagen Cream with Turmeric and Coconut Oil
Both turmeric and coconut oil are collagen boosting natural ingredients. Additionally, this cream contains Aloe Vera gel and coffee beans powder. Other ingredients like Apple cider vinegar fight inflammation, reduce redness and reveal bright, flawless and younger looking skin.
- 1 cup organic Coconut oil at room temperature
- ½ cup organic, raw, unfiltered Apple Cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp each lemon juice and pure Aloe Vera extract/gel
- 1 tbsp powdered turmeric
Mix the ingredients well until creamy. Store the cream in a refrigerator. Apply each night to prevent wrinkles.