Eczema is a type of skin inflammation also called atopic dermatitis or atopic eczema. It is common in babies as well as in adults and is typically characterized red, itchy and dry skin. Steroidal creams used for treatment of eczema could lead to side effects and must not be used for prolonged periods. Instead, try the following healing, soothing homemade eczema cream recipes which your skin will love! Also check out our article on home remedies for eczema.
1. Homemade eczema cream for babies
The following recipe yields about 2 ½ cups of cream. It contains the best essential oils for eczema and psoriasis such as Bergamot, Lavender, Frankincense, Juniper berry, Myrrh and Helichrysum. Use the best essential oils from top brands like doTerra or Young Living Essentials.
- 1 cup Shea butter
- ½ cup each Coconut or Olive oil
- 40-60 drops of essential oils for eczema and psoriasis described above.
- In a double broiler, melt the butter along with the oils.
- Keep stirring gently to mix the oils and butter well. Make sure they do not burn.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool down for about 15 minutes.
- Next, transfer the mixture to the refrigerator and let it cool for about an hour.
- Once the mixture starts to solidify around the edges, remove it from the fridge and whip it with a hand mixer or a wire whisk until it is light and frothy like cake frosting.
- Now add essential oils for eczema and psoriasis mentioned above and whip again.
- Transfer contents to a clean glass/stainless steel container.
- To use, take the requisite amount and use it on the eczema prone skin several times a day.
2. Healing homemade eczema cream with oatmeal
Oatmeal is the best ingredient for eczema prone skin. You can use it in your bathwater and also buy commercial creams containing colloidal oatmeal. The following DIY homemade recipe for eczema cream is inexpensive and you can make a large batch and store it in the refrigerator.
- ¼ cup oats
- ¾ cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A few drops of essential oil of your choice (use any essential oil for eczema itch such as Lavender, etc)
In a flour grinder or mixer, grind the oats into a very fine powder. Melt the coconut oil over medium heat (either in a microwave oven or in a double broiler). Cool the oil a bit then add lavender oil. Now add the oats and olive oil and mix it well. Store the mixture in a glass container, and once completely cool, refrigerate it. Use it as needed over the eczema several times a day.
3. Easy homemade eczema cream with beeswax
- ¼ cup Calendula petals
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8th cup beeswax
- 8-10 drops of pure Lavender essential oil
Put the olive oil and calendula petals in a crockpot and heat for over 3 hours. Strain the oil petal mixture with cheesecloth and let it drip slowly in a glass jar. Pour the infused oil in a saucepan and over low heat, add beeswax. Stir continuously until melted. Remove the oil from heat, cool a bit and then add Lavender essential oil. Apart from eczema, use this recipe to heal cuts, scrapes, burns, chapped lips and rashes.
4. Simple eczema salve recipe
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 25 drops each Melrose essential oil and Lavender essential oil
Bring a small pot of water to boil. In a small mason jar, take ½ a cup of coconut oil and place it into the hot water to allow t to liquefy. Once melted, remove the oil jar and cool it until the coconut oil is warm to touch. You can now add the essential oils (20-25 drops each). Stir gently to mix the oils. Let the coconut oil solidify at room temperature. Use as needed over the eczema rash.
5. Simple wheat germ oil based homemade eczema cream
Wheat germ oil is very beneficial for eczema prone skin. Additionally, this recipe also contains essential oils for eczema and psoriasis such as Lavender and Sandalwood oils.
- 2 oz. unrefined Shea butter
- 1 tbsp Wheat germ oil
- 15 drops each Lavender and Sandalwood essential oils
- Start with Shea butter at room temperature.
- With a wire whisk or fork, mash the butter and add essential oils.
- Now add the Wheat germ oil and again whisk it or beat it with a hand mixer.
- Once you have obtained a creamy consistency, store the mixture in a clean glass jar.
- Store in refrigerator and use as needed.
Try these 5 easy homemade eczema cream recipes and see the difference!