We had recently covered some easy DIY beard oil recipes in this article. Beard balms, like beard oils, nourish, protect and condition the beard. The main difference in between the two is their consistency. Beard oils are liquid whereas beard balms are buttery, creamy and waxy and give a hold to the beard. Both, beard balms and oils, contain essential oils and are necessary part of beard care and grooming. Let us take a look at the benefits of beard balms along with some easy vegan and whipped beard butter recipes.
Why use beard balms?
To prevent shaving itch
Beard balms and beard oils both prevent inflammation, sensitivity and itchiness that come after shaving. You can splash on the oil or apply the balm post shaving on the trimmed beard and skin around it. This will moisturize the skin and hair and prevent itching, scratching etc.
To prevent dandruff
Dandruff arises due to fungal growth on the skin. A good quality beard oil or balm can prevent such fungal infections and reduce flaking, itching etc. The anti fungal properties of essential oils used in beard balms can also prevent ringworm or tinea infection.
To condition the beard
If you are suffering from dry, frizzy beard with flyaway hairs, use beard balm to nourish and moisturize it. Apply the beard balm all over the hair to make it more manageable, softer, shinier and healthier. A beard balm can also replenish oils that are stripped away after shampooing the beard.
Let us now discuss some easy beard balm recipes.
Best Beard Balm Recipes
1. Easy DIY beard conditioner
This easy diy beard wax is recommended for dry, chapped skin and frizzy flyaway hair.
- 1 tbsp Shea butter
- Coconut oil-1 tbsp
- Organic beeswax pastilles- 1 tbsp
- Jojoba oil- 1tbsp
- Castor oil-1 tbsp
- 5-10 drops of pure Cedarwood essential oil (you can also use Frankincense, Myrrh, Pine, or other woodsy essential oils).
- In a double broiler, melt the beeswax, shea butter, Coconut oil, Jojoba oil and Castor oil.
- Continue stirring until melted and well blended.
- Allow the blend to cool completely but not long enough that the wax hardens.
- Add the essential oils. Stir well.
- Pour into a container and allow it to solidify.
2. Winter beard balm recipe
This is a cold weather treat for your beard! It contains Jojoba and Castor oils that condition the beard and relieve itch.
- 1 tsp Shea butter
- 2 tsp beeswax
- 1 tsp each Jojoba and Castor oils
- 5 drops of Sandalwood/Fir/Eucalyptus/Cedarwood/Cypress/Tea Tree oils
- In a double broiler, melt the butter and beeswax and stir well to combine.
- Add the oils and mix well.
- Take off the heat and cool a bit before adding the essential oil of your choice.
- Pour into tins and let solidify.
To use, take required amount on the palms and rub them together. Apply the balm even throughout the beard.
3. Woodsy minty beard balm recipe
- 15-20 drops of Cedarwood and Patchouli oils
- 10 drops of Peppermint essential oil
- 4 oz organic beeswax
- Raw Shea butter- 4 oz
- 3 oz Jojoba oil
- 1oz Sweet Almond oil
- 1 tsp Vitamin E oil
- In a glass container, measure out the essential oils of your choice.
- Make a hot water bath in a double broiler for your beard balm jar. Bring the water to slow boil.
- Measure the carrier oils in a measuring jar. Mix them with the Shea butter and beeswax.
- Add all ingredients in the double broiler.
- Heat very gently and avoid boiling. Break the lumps of Shea and beeswax.
- Once the mixture is melted, add the essential oils.
- Pour in a glass container and let cool.
4. Whipped beard butter recipe
This is a creamy beard butter recipe that softens the beard.
- 1 tbsp each organic beeswax, and Shea butter
- 1 tsp of Sunflower oil and Olive oil each
- ½ tbsp each Mango butter and castor oil
- 8 drops each of Rosemary, Peppermint and Tea tree oils
- 2 ml Vitamin E oil
- Take the Shea butter and beeswax in a glass jar. Place it in a hot water bath and allow it to melt a bit. It does not matter if the mixture is still lumpy; we are going to beat it with a handheld mixture.
- Add the mango butter and olive oil to the mixture. Stir it completely. Add the sunflower oil. Mix well.
- Beat well with a hand mixer. Scrape the walls and beat again.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator and let it solidify for 5 minutes.
- Take it out and beat again.
- Add vitamin E oil and essential oils.
- Beat it with the mixer again. Store in a glass container.
To use, apply a bit on the beard morning and evening and use a brush to spread it evenly through the beard.
5. Vegan beard balm recipe
Vegan beard balm recipe does not use beeswax.
- 75ml organic coconut oil
- 25 ml Shea butter
- 5 drops tea tree oil and cedarwood oil each
- In a bowl, take solidified coconut oil.
- Beat it using a hand mixer until it reaches a buttery consistency.
- Add the Shea butter and beat again.
- Whip until both oils form an emulsion.
- Add essential oils. Mix well.
- Store the beard balm in a glass jar.
Know of any other easy beard balm recipes? Share them with us in comments below!