Chlamydia is a STD, symptoms of which include foul smelling discharge from the genital area, pain during intercourse, uncomfortable urination, itching, and burning. It can also produce other symptoms like conjunctivitis, flu-like symptoms and painful bowel movements. There also may be painful cysts inside the vagina that obstruct the flow of urine causing burning and itchiness. In men, there may be bleeding from the penis. Typically, doctors prescribe antibiotics to cure Chlamydia symptoms. However, in many cases, the infection comes back within a week. So today, we will study some home remedies to get rid of Chlamydia fast. Many of these remedies strengthen the immune system and support the body’s natural healing mechanism so it can get rid of Chlamydia on its own.
Garlic is antiviral, naturally antibiotic and antibacterial and has been shown to be very effective against oral and genital herpes.It can strengthen the immune system and enable the body to get rid of Chlamydia on its own. Take garlic oil pills with 500 mg extracts 2-3 times a day during an active infection.
Like garlic, turmeric is also immune-strengthening. Taking turmeric during an active STD infection can provide the body with antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and strengthen its natural defenses. You can take turmeric powder in warm milk at bed time or go for 2-3 pills of turmeric extract (with 500 mg of extract) two times a day.
3. Herbs for Chlamydia
- All herbs containing berberine (a yellow colored alkaloid) are very useful when recovering from STD infections. Many herbalists have seen patients get rid of Chlamydia on their own with Golden seal and Oregon grape extracts taken along with an immune strengthening diet and herbs. You can take these herbs internally and also use their tinctures/teas to douche the genital area. There are no studies on Berberine but many herbalists[i] have seen good results with it in treating eye infections accompanying Chalmydia.
- Cat’s claw is known to strengthen the immune system. Take 500 mg of standardized extracts 3 times a day until the infection is cured.
- Echinacea has antimicrobial and immune strengthening properties. Take this herb with Goldenseal. Take a supplement containing 200-500 mg of Echinacea and 125-250 mg of Goldenseal 2-3 times a day for 10 days. Stop, then repeat for 10 days.
- Oregano is antibacterial and can kill the germs causing this infection. Take 75mg standardized extracts 3 times a day.
4. Homeopathic remedies for Chlamydia
- Cannabis sativa can help with painful urination and burning. Take one dose of 12x or 6 C potency 3-4 times a day.
- Cantharis is for people who feel the urge to urinate frequently. Take one dose of Cantharis 12x or 6c potency 3-4 times daily.
- Solidago virga is another powerful natural remedy for STDs with painful urination, abdominal and back pain. Take one dose of 12x or 6 C potency 3-4 times a day.
5. Hydrogen peroxide douches
Hydrogen peroxide is antibacterial and works as a natural germicidal to kill microbes that cause STDs. Use diluted hydrogen peroxide to douche or clean the genital area and get rid of discharge, foul smell and irritation.
6. Essential oils for Chlamydia
Essential oils containing terpenes and alcohol compounds are known to be efficient against treating Chlamydia. The best STD relief essential oils are Tea tree, Sage, Oregano, Thuja, Thyme and Eucalyptus oils. Always dilute these oils before applying them. A great way of using essential oils for vaginal infections and STDs is to soak a tampon with the oil and insert the same in the vagina. You can also add them into tub bath water and soak in it for 20 minutes. This remedy can help you get rid of foul discharge and smell. Neem oil is not normally used in the vaginal area but as per a study conducted in India, a cream with neem oil and quinine wiped out Chlamydia completely in 7 out of 10 sufferers. Oils like Lavender and myrrh can help you relax. Diffuse these oils or use them for massage or as bath oils.
If you are taking antibiotics for chlamydiaceae infections, make sure you also take a probiotic supplement to prevent yeast infections. Take these supplements at least an hour before or 2 hours after taking the antibiotic. You can also eat probiotic foods like kefir, yogurt etc.
8. Supplements to take to get rid of Chlamydia fast
Many over the counter drugs and supplements can help you fight this disease:
- Vitamin A– Beta carotene and vitamin A are needed for healthy mucous membrane and strengthening the immune system. Take 5000 IU of Vitamin A and 15000 IU of beta carotene daily for one month when having Chlamydia.
- Vitamin E and Zinc- Both these are specific treatments for Chlamydia. You need up to 400 IU of Vitamin E and 20 mg of Zinc picolinate twice daily to fight this infection. You can also use Zinc oxide cream topically when you start noticing symptoms like vaginal irritation etc.
- Amino acid Lysine– 1200 mg of Lysine daily can help wipe out STDs like herpes and Chlamydia.
- Vitamin C– Antioxidants like Vitamin C are very effective in strengthening the immune system. People with STDs like Chlamydia and Gonorrhea often have compromised immune systems. Take at least 500 mg of Vitamin C daily.
9. Refrain from sexual activity
You must give the inflamed tissues some time to heal. So refrain from sexual activity and do practice monogamy. If you do have multiple sexual partners, make sure you use a condom to protect against future infections. Also, if you are being treated for Chlamydia, it is important that your partner/s is treated as well.
10. Wear loose cotton underpants
Avoid tight fitting, nylon underwear as they do not absorb moisture and also spread the germs around. Also avoid wearing tight jeans, pantyhose etc. Go for loose cotton clothes and cotton underwear.
Try these home remedies to wipe out Chlamydia naturally and quickly.
[i] Women’s Herbs, Women’s Health
By Christopher Hobbs, Kathi Keville